Treating Insect Bites
Most reactions to insect bites and stings are mild, causing little more than redness, itching, and stinging or minor swelling. Usually, the symptoms disappear in a day or two.1
However, in the case of an allergic reaction, or the rare event that an insect bite or sting from an insect causes a severe reaction, please call 911 or a doctor. Severe reactions include difficulty in breathing or swallowing, swelling of the lips, eyelids, or throat, dizziness, faintness or confusion, rapid heartbeat, hives, nausea, or vomiting.1,2 You should also contact a doctor if the bite or sting appears to be infected. Signs include redness with or without pus, warmth, fever, or a red streak that spreads out from the bite/sting.3
Immediate treatment for an Insect Bite or Sting:
Move to a safe place, to avoid more bites or stings.
If stung, remove the stinger as quickly as possible.
Wash the area with soap and water to remove any substances left behind from the insect.3
Avoid scratching the bite or sting, as that may cause a break in the skin.3